Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cuban Roasted Pork- A story



It was mid June and my girlfriend Arolin asked about having a pig roast.  

I was born in Tampa, FL and my family is Cuban. So roasting a pig is a big part of my traditional culinary make-up.  As a young boy, my Abuelo Matilda (the name coming from him and I watching Harry Belafonte live on TV) began to teach me how to roast a whole pig the Cuban way. Once my grandfather moved to Tampa he had a roasting pit built in the back yard. That pit has been the center focus of Christmas and New Years for over 30 years. Ask any Cuban and they will talk about the Lechon, "Roast Pig", made for Noche Buena, 24th December. 

The 24th of December is when we celebrate Christmas dinner. Roasting the pig began two weeks prior to Noche Buena.  For many years we had a family friend who would slaughter the pig and hang to age and firm up the meat. Two days prior to the 24th we would harvest the sour orange off the tree in my back yard to make the traditional Mojo.

This mojo is the major flavoring in making a Lechon. Once the pig reaches our home, we would create pockets with the tip of a kinfe into the ham and shoulder area. To then plunge smashed garlic and salt into. We would heavily season the pork with salt. The key is to marinate skin side down.  Abuelo always told me to be very careful not to pierce through the skin. By heavily salting the skin it would draw out moisture so to help achieve the crispy skin. Having crispy skin is very important, simply because its the best part.  After salting the pig, the prepared mojo is then poured over the entire pig and between the pockets.  The pig would then marinate for 2 days until the big day for roasting!

            As a child, sleep would not come lightly with the anticipation of starting the roast. Waking in the early hours we would to start the day long process.  We'd start by lighting the fire. My Abuelo would tell me that the fire was the most important part of cooking the pig, slow, low, and indirect heat was the key to success.  Once the we light the fire, you must let the ember turn grayish color, we lift the pig and place the pig in-between two large roasting racks on top of rebar. The pig is suspended the air from the direct fire.  The pig is always started skin side down to insure a slow render on the skin. After 2-3 hours the skin should be golden brown and ready to flip. Once flipped another 3 hours of slow roasting is needed.  When finished the meat should fall off the bone.

Needless to say, when Arolin eagerly asked to roast a pig I eagerly took the opportuntiy to share a piece of my childhood and Cuban Tradition.            

Up-holding my family traditions, I made some modification to my roasted pig. I began with finding a 40# pig from Vermont. I still seasoned my pig with a mojo but added some thyme and sage. The pit was a free-form structure made by my MIT housemates.  The day started as a small gathering that turned into a larger gathering of local cooks and MIT students talking about the science of food. We topped off the party with a left over beer keg, tomato corn salad, black beans, and yellow rice. A few Cuban cigars later, we all had a great time!






























Traditional Mojo
3 cups Sour Orange Juice
10 cloves Garlic
½ Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Cumin
¼ cup Salt

Or this is another sauce that could be used

Marinado de Batidora “Cuban Chimichurri Marinade”
1/2 bun Parsley
½ bun Cilantro
1/2 bun Oregano
3 ea. Bay leaf, fresh (dry ground)
6 cloves Garlic
1 med Onion
1 med Red Onion
6 whole Black peppercorns
1 c White Vinegar
3 C Olive Oil
Salt

Blend until smooth.







No comments:

Post a Comment